Pages

Friday, January 20, 2017

Tartiflette Recipe for Cheese Lover's Day

French Village Diaries Cheese Lover's Day Tartiflette recipe
Tartiflette

It is January 20th and according to the oracle that is the Internet, it’s Cheese Lover’s Day. I am a cheese lover. Cheese made from cow’s milk, ewe’s milk and goat’s milk; I love it. Soft cheese, hard cheese, young cheese, mature cheese, I love it; it’s cheese and it's delicious. Warm it up or bake it and then I'm in heaven.

One of the questions I always ask on my France et Moi interviews is “What cheese are you”, because it’s so much more interesting than “What is your favourite cheese”, but not an easy one to answer. After a bit of thought I have decided I am a Tartiflette cheese. By myself, when I’m somewhere new, I’m nothing special, even a little bit dull. But, warmed up and in the right company, I come into my own. Tartiflette cheese served from the fridge is nothing much flavour wise, but mix it with potatoes, onions, lardons and bake in the oven and it becomes the perfect winter comfort food.

It has been too long since I shared a recipe with you, so today seems the perfect day to share my recipe for tartiflette.

For Four or Five People:
1 kg of potatoes
1 large onion
1 packet of lardons (200g)
1 clove of garlic (optional, but I love it)
1 glass of dry white wine
1 Tartiflette cheese (500g)

Wash and slice (but don't peel) the potatoes and then boil until just beginning to feel tender.

In a large frying pan, sauté the lardons but don’t let them brown, remove them from the pan and fry off the onions in the lardon fat until soft, and then remove from pan.

Add some butter to the frying pan (if necessary) and add the cooked, drained potatoes and sauté for five minutes add the onions, lardons, crushed garlic and glass of wine and continue cooking for about five minutes (until the wine has evaporated).

Pour everything into an oven dish. Cut the round of tartiflette cheese into two disks the same thickness, and then place on top of potato mixture. Bake in a moderate oven for about twenty minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling. Serve and enjoy it’s melty deliciousness.

This post has been linked to Dreaming of France, click here to read more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.