Pages

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Book review of A Chateau for Sale by Carrie Parker

A Chateau for Sale by Carrie Parker review by French Village Diaries
A Chateau for Sale by Carrie Parker

My review today is for A Chateau for Sale, the debut novel from Carrie Parker, set at a chateau in the Lot, southwest France.

Described by Carrie as a dramatic romance with plenty of twists and turns in the plot, I have to say I couldn’t agree more. This book is quite different to many romance novels I’ve read, and from the beginning is very cleverly written with a narrative that moves around, creating holes that are slowly filled in later on. This gave my brain ample time to try and guess what was happening along the way.

We meet Kate and Alastair, a down to earth couple living a simple, but happy life in their dream cottage in Kent, until new neighbours Nick and Joanne arrive in the manor house and things begin to change. All the characters in this book are strong and different and at first I liked Kate, with her gentle and dreamy ways but it didn’t take long before her actions confused me. Truly believing she was in love with both her husband and her lover; escaping to Nick’s chateau in France seemed like the perfect plan. However, almost immediately the chateau seems to foster odd goings on, unwise decision-making and bad luck, and Kate finds herself in situations that spiral out of control and that left me wondering where it would all end.

This book is a really enjoyable read that I found myself being drawn back into, even when I wasn’t reading it. The twists in the plot kept me guessing and despite the grim and grizzly goings on, so many of the nuances about the French and Brits living in France had me grinning along as I read. I know it's fiction, but at times I could believe it!

This is one of those stories that will stay with me, and I know I want to read more from Carrie in the future.

A Chateau for Sale is available in paperback and ebook formats and if you are looking for something a little bit different for your holiday reading, this book is for you.

Links to Amazon can be found below.

You can follow Carrie on Facebook here.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.