Pages

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Book review of Summer at the Little French Guesthouse by Helen Pollard

Summer at the Little French Guesthouse by Helen Pollard book review by French Village Diaries
Summer at the Little French Guesthouse by Helen Pollard

My review today is for the third and final book in the La Cour des Roses series by Helen Pollard; Summer at the Little French Guesthouse.

We find ourselves back in the Loire Valley in France with Emmy, where alongside running the guesthouse with Rupert, she is establishing her own business and planning her imminent wedding to Alain.

It was great to be back. I slipped between the pages easily, loving being back with characters that have become familiar and whose company I enjoyed like good friends.

Throughout the series Emmy has established herself as someone dependable, who can be relied on to keep calm in a disaster and organise everyone into a happy ending. However, this time it’s her happy ending that is in jeopardy. She finds herself up against her controlling mother, who has the ability (as some mothers do) to make Emmy feel like a rebellious teen once again over the finite wedding details. Things are also complicated in Alain’s family, meaning lots of drama for our usually cool and collected bride-to-be. There were certainly enough last minute hiccups to raise my heart rate as I was reading it.

I can honestly say there was nothing I didn’t enjoy about this book and although books one and two in the series are very good, Helen has left the best till last. I’m sad to be saying goodbye and can’t help feeling how lovely it would be to book a holiday there. Meet my friends for real, take a stroll around the market, listen to the Jazz band and of course sample one of Rupert’s delicious meals.

I can only hope Helen continues to take us to France in her future books.

Wherever you are going on your holidays this year, take one (or all) of these books with you; I can’t recommend them enough.

All three books in La Cour des Roses series are published by Bookouture and are available in paperback and ebook format from Amazon, links can be found below.

You might also like to read my France et Moi interviewwith Helen here and my reviews of her other books in the series can be found below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.