Pages

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Book review of F is for France by Piu Eatwell

French Village Diaries book review F is for France by Piu Eatwell
F is for France by Piu Eatwell

It’s St Valentine’s Day and I have a couple of questions for you. Do you love France? Do you think you know France?

I do, and I did, until I read this book, F is for France: A Curious Cabinet of French Wonders by Piu Eatwell. I learned so many fun facts in this A to Z of all things France that I just had to share the love with you today, although be warned, I’m sure to be heard dropping little facts and figures into conversation for many months to come.

This book covers things that are popular in France, things first seen in France, French words found in other languages, French historical facts, French etiquette, famous places and landmarks in France, famous French people, French clothing and perfume, French food, customs and traditions, as well as death, the guillotine and the catacombs of Paris. Phew, now that is a lot of France trivia.

·     There are the fun facts: explaining the April Fish day traditions.
·  The historical facts: what the Revolutionary Calendar was and how it differed from the calendar we know today.
·     The bizarre facts: over half the worlds roundabouts are found in France.
·    The interesting facts: unlimited self-service ketchup has been banned in school canteens since 2011.
·     The Oh My God – really! facts: male impotence was a crime in France in the 16th and 17th centuries and men accused by their wives were required to demonstrate their performance before and expert panel of clergymen and physicians!

I’m not sure there is anything about France that isn’t covered in this book, as there are even some recipes included too.

It really does spread the love for France and would be the perfect gift for the France nerd in your life, and I know because I am a France nerd, who is now a very happy France nerd. Thank you Piu Eatwell.

F is for France is available in ebook and paperback versions and links to Amazon can be found below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.