Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Book review of French Revolutions by Tim Moore

To celebrate the start of the 2013 Tour de France I have a review of the perfect book for all French loving, armchair cyclists, French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France by Tim Moore.

French Village Diaries Tour de France book reviews cycling French revolutions Tim MooreWhen Tim reignited a passion for cycling, aged 35 and not actually owning a decent bike, he was inspired to take on the challenge of the Tour de France, although obviously not as a serious team competitor. Tim, who wasn’t the fittest, or even the greatest cyclist, bought himself a bike and set off to cycle the 3630kms of the 2000 proposed Tour de France route ahead of the main peloton (by a couple of months).

What follows is a journey of pain, frustration, determination, discovery and above all (for the reader) humour and lots of it. As a Tour de France novice I really enjoyed the snippets of Tour history, information and interesting insights Tim added into his journey. Although for an event where organisation and publicity are key it was surprising to learn how difficult it was for Tim to get detailed information on the route. Above all this book is the story of a BIG challenge as Tim tries to cover similar distances to the professional riders each day and this can be in the region of 200km. He also takes on the mountain stages with enthusiasm and trepidation but also with his luggage and without the team support back up – apart from the times his wife and family make an appearance to cheer him up and on. Having clocked up a three bike rides this week, totalling a respectful 110km, I take my hat off to Tim for taking on this challenge and having the energy left to turn it into a great read.

4 comments:

  1. I will be adding this to my TBR list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this book before but not read it yet. I do have his book on Eurovision called Nul Points in the TBR. I should add this one too. I love watching Le Tour from Australia- here it is the depths of winter of course, we sit up late into the night (the broadcast finishes between 1 and 2 am most of the time), I often fall asleep on the couch trying to stay up. We were in France for the tour this year but I hardly saw any of it because we were always out and about doing things during the day. I did get to see the final stage in Paris though, which was tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - I'm jealous you got to soak up the atmosphere in Paris. We are 'only' about a four hour drive from Paris and we did give it a bit of a thought this year, but with road tolls, parking and a hotel it was a bit unrealistic, so we watched on TV!

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.