Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Book Review of Confessions of a Paris Party Girl by Vicki Lesage

My review today is for Confessions of a Paris Party Girl by Vicki Lesage, a fast moving, humorous memoir of Vicki’s first six years in Paris.

French Village Diaries book review Confessions of a Paris Party Girl Vicki LesageArriving alone with her laptop and a freelance web designer work plan, Vicki is in Paris to party, and party she does. My ever-sensible eyes nearly popped out of their sockets at some of her stories, including when she mentioned the early closing bar where everyone was booted out by 2.00am. It just highlighted my dull youth when I realise 2.00am has never been a time to move on to another bar for me. She is also not afraid to write honestly about being so drunk that unpleasant incidents occur - you should see the smug smile my sensible head is making now!

I was a bit worried from the description that there would be a bit too much moaning and anti-French rants in this book, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. Vicki embraces all that Paris has to offer her; from the simple pleasure of walking to the boulangerie, to late night drinking sessions, to boyfriends found in bars, to full time French employment, to wedded bliss and beyond. Her writing brings the characters she meets to life, her friends, boyfriends, fellow Metro travellers and French officials, and the stories she tells are full of humour, even the truly frustrating ones. What was most enjoyable was watching her change and mature as her life in Paris blossomed.

I’d love to read more from Vicki so I’ve signed up to her blog, but I do hope she brings out another book too. You can also follow Vicki on Twitter here and Facebook here.

This book will give you a lighthearted look at life in Paris and should be essential reading for anyone planning a similar move to Paris or anyone missing the heady days of their youth. Confessions of a Paris Party Girl is available in paperback and ebook format. Many thanks to Vicki for sending me a copy to review.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.