Pages

Friday, August 26, 2016

Book review of Return to the Little French Guesthouse by Helen Pollard

French Village Diaries book review Return to the Little French Guesthouse by Helen Pollard
Return to the Little French Guesthouse
By Helen Pollard

My review today is for The Return to the Little French Guesthouse, the second in the La Cour des Roses series by Helen Pollard.

This book continues on immediately from book one and with only minimal memory jogging, so I’d definitely recommend starting from the beginning of the series and not reading this as a stand-alone. You can read my review of book one here.

Emmy returns to France to start a new life as Rupert’s manager at La Cour des Roses and hopefully a new relationship with a sexy Frenchman too. Despite realising it will take time to settle in, she soon finds her new life throwing up some rather unexpected issues with guests, bookings and relationships, that test her resolve and make her wonder whether she has made the right decision. Her new life is certainly more about the hard work of running a guesthouse in France than relaxing in the French sunshine. Then again, she also finds fun, friendship, lots of laughter and good coffee too, which prove to be the perfect combination of things to soothe the rollercoaster of emotions she is going through.

Helen writes in a relaxed, easy reading style that made me feel very at home at the guesthouse and her characters are strong and real. I enjoyed feeling like I was in France and learning more about some of the other characters we were introduced to in the first book. It was great to be back and I was again sad at having to leave Emmy and her friends when I finished the book. Helen has left us poised for more and I hope we do get another book in this series.

This book has everything you need to take a late summer break in the Loire. There will be markets and festivals, laughter and tears, sunshine and music and I’m sure that you will have a great time.

The La Cour des Roses series is published by Bookoutre and available on Amazon in paperback and ebook format.


You can read my France et Moi interview with Helen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.