Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Book review of Paris Ever After by Karen Burns

French Village Diaries book review Paris Ever After KSR Burns
Paris Ever After by KSR Burns

My review today is for new release Paris Ever After by Karen Burns, the sequel to The Paris Effect.

It has been a few years since I read The Paris Effect, where the likable, but rather screwed up Amy takes a life-changing trip to Paris, but I remember clearly that I found certain parts of it, and some of the characters, slightly disturbing. However, it was a real page-turner that kept my mind on full alert, as things aren’t always what they first appear to be. I was delighted to have the chance to return and see where Amy was now.

The Amy we find in Paris Ever After at first appears to be happier, more in control, and with a good reason to see her future with more positivity than I dared hope. Margaret, the friendly face who took Amy under her wing on her first visit to Paris, seems to be even more involved in Amy’s life now, but is showing a fragility that means theirs has become a mutual looking-out-for-each-other relationship. However, it doesn’t take long for events to upset their equilibrium and it is the unexpected visitors who provide the main plot this time.

Amy certainly seems to have a knack of finding herself in somewhat bizarre situations alongside a real mixed (and often mixed up) set of friends. As well as the unexpected guests there are their unusual stories to take in too, and at times it seems uncertain if there is a place for Amy either in Paris or back in Phoenix.

With lots of plot twists that seem to turn her life upside down, Amy eventually finds the focus she desperately needs, which gives her the ability to take control and decide where she will make her future, and who will be alongside her. I certainly felt much happier for Amy at the end of this book than I had at the end of the first. 

If you are looking for something a little bit different, but with engaging characters, a fast moving plot and a good sense of place, this Parisian book could be just the thing for you this summer.

The Paris Effect and Paris Ever After are both available in paperback and ebook format and links to Amazon can be found below.


You can follow Karen on Twitter, Facebook and at her website and I am delighted she will be joining me back here on Friday as part of my France et Moi interview feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.