Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Diary of Covid-19 confinement, day fifty


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day fifty potager gardening
The potager, rotivated and neatly mowed


Day fifty, 5th May 2020

The big 50

Today we have arrived at day fifty of life in lockdown, and this feels like a significant enough number for me to mark today as something special. A quick Google search brought up the fact that in numerology, the number fifty expresses its sense of personal freedom and focusses on the positive side of things, not the negative. With France (hopefully) entering its final week of strict confinement, I think we are all focusing on our personal freedom and I’m sure I’m not the only one who needs a reminder every now and then to look to the positives rather than the negatives.


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day fifty potager gardening
My confinement crops

The storms that rumbled around us overnight gave way to a bright, clear day although it was a little too breezy out there for me. The plan for this afternoon was for Ed to mow the orchard with the tractor, while I did the grass in the potager with the small mower and Adrian rotivated the vegetable plot. We would then be one step closer to getting the courgettes, squash and pumpkins planted out. Ed and I sowed the first seeds on day two of lockdown, so I’m really keen to get them to their final home before next Monday. I have decided that this year’s crops shall be known as the confinement crops. 

 
French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day fifty orchard gardening
Neatly mowed orchard with the first blush of colour on the cherries

Things didn’t quite go to plan and after mowing only two lengths of the potager I found myself back indoors, with Mini looking after me as we listened to the gentle hum of the boy’s mowers. I'm feeling pretty pathetic and rather pissed off as although there are many gardening jobs I know I have to be careful doing, mowing is usually ok. Today, the combination of a bright, sunny day, with a breeze making everything move around in front of my eyes, was too much for my photosensitive brain. On a positive note, I was able to recognise the warning signs and avoid succumbing to a full seizure, which I’m sure Adrian was rather glad of. 

The rest of the day has passed in a lazy haze and enjoying listening to Ed playing his guitar. Just so you can have a listen to him too, here is his latest YouTube video, a track that is a real blast from my past, performed in a way that made us smile.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqui. I am sat on my allotment reading day 50. It's very quiet, just me and the blackbirds & robins. I have to be very careful cycling with a low sun especially if it is flickering from the trees etc as I used to suffer with migraine. Is this something you have to be careful with? I am also hoping to get courgettes squash and pumpkins out soon.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touch wood, I've always been ok cycling. I think it's something to do with my head being a constant distance from the road, if that makes sense? Walking on uneven surfaces isn't good and puddles of water with sunlight is a big no. The flickering of the trees is tricky and I've been advised to cover (not close) one eye, as well as wearing my polarised sunglasses. This works and might help you too.

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.