Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Fat Free Cherry Cake Recipe



Cherry harvest at www.frenchvillagediaries.com

Here is my most baked cake recipe; I like to indulge in a slice of cake every day, and making it without fat means I can do so without worrying about the consequences. I generally make it with cherries as in our orchard we have five huge old cherry trees as well as about the same again in younger trees. There are at least three different varieties with red and yellow fruits, all with a slightly different harvest time. In a good year we could pick, over a six-week period, hundreds of kilos of cherries. We can’t pick them all and we can’t use all that we do pick, but the birds and the neighbours help us out there. Our freezer comes into it’s own as a lot of the cherries are stoned using my fantastic Leifheit Preserving Cherrymat Cherry Pitter Machine, Plastic, White, frozen on trays and bagged up to be turned into Fat Free Cherry Cakes all year round. You could of course use any fruit of your choice, if we have them I also use halved plums or peaches and sliced apples, pears or quince, all are delicious.

Cherry stoning at www.frenchvillagediaries.com


Ingredients:
Enough cherries (or fruit) to fill the bottom of a lined flan tin
3 eggs at room temperature
65g sugar
110g plain flour
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp natural yoghurt
50g ground almonds
a few drops of almond essence

Fat Free Cherry Cake www.frenchvillagediaries.com
Beat the eggs and sugar for at least five minutes until very frothy and pale. Gently fold in the yoghurt and almond essence, and then half the dry ingredients sieved, then the remainder. Try and lose as little of the air as possible. Pour the batter over the cherries and bake in a preheated oven (gas 4) for about 20 mins, or until the top is golden and springs back to the touch. Leave to cool and then turn out upside down onto a plate. This cake will dry our very quickly as there is no butter, however it never lasts too long in our house and we always serve it with a healthy dollop of natural yoghurt which helps to keep it moist and adds a touch of luxury.


6 comments:

  1. Definitely one I'll make! I got no cherries last year at all, which was very disappointing. Hopefully this year will be better! I have two huge cherry trees, and definitely need a cherry gadget... I have to do one at once and it takes an age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry gadget is worth it's weight in gold, can't recommend it enough. I am using 2011 cherries as last year was abismal here too. Keeping my everything's crossed fir this year.

      Delete
  2. I think I might have to pop round one day about cake time :) We didn't have cherries last year ... and they are my fave all time fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just give me enough notice to put the kettle on! They are my favourite fruit too.

      Delete
  3. Are these the sweet cherries or sour cherries? Here in Indiana, USA, our cherries are the sour kind. Looks just yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia, they are sweet cherries and as I have never used sour ones I have no idea if you could use them instead, sorry. It is a very yummy cake :)

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.