Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Chocolate Veggie Brownies


Here is my favourite brownie recipe, traditionally made in summer when the courgettes are taking over the kitchen and I find myself adding them to everything I make. However with the gloom of wet February days I needed a chocolate fix so made a few changes using carrot with orange zest for an equally delicious moist treat and then carrot with zingy fresh ginger – well it has been really wet here!

Chocolate and Courgette Brownies
Life in a French Village Diaries chocolate brownies recipe
Chocolate and Courgette Brownies
125ml vegetable oil and 1 tbsp walnut oil (walnut oil is optional)
200g brown sugar
2tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2tsp salt
250g finely grated courgette (zucchini) (leave skins on)
1tbsp walnut wine or similar (Amaretto, Rum, Ginger wine)
60g chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 180c/Gas 4
Grease and flour a 22x33cm baking tin
In a large bowl, mix together oils, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Combine flour, cocoa powder, bicarb and salt; stir into sugar mixture. Fold in courgettes, walnuts and wine.  Note it is a rather dry mixture. Spread evenly in prepared tin. Bake for 25 to 30 mins, until it springs back when gently touched. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.

Options for when you don’t have courgettes to hand, all these will still make a delicious moist cake that I fool myself into thinking is healthy as it contains vegetables:

250g grated carrots (peeled)
Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger peeled and grated
Or
250g grated carrots (peeled)
Zest and juice of an orange
Or
250g grated cooked and peeled beetroot



2 comments:

  1. I have made carrot cake before but had never thought about courgettes in cake. I expect they keep it really moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry I feel courgettes magically enhance any dish you put them in, but I'm a bit of a courgette nut! But yes, just like carrot they add a moistness and texture, you don't taste them at all.

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.