Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2015

A dark week

French Village Diaries Chef Boutonne France manifestation Je Suis Charlie
A gathering of support in Chef Boutonne
It’s been a dark week for Paris, for France, for religion, for freedom of speech and for anyone in the world with a compassionate bone in their body.
French Village Diaries Chef Boutonne France manifestation Je Suis Charlie
Je Suis Charlie

On Friday I watched the events unfurling in Paris, glued to the TV at a time of day when the TV is rarely on. I was shocked, horrified and sad, but by the end of the day proud to be here in France.

Today Ade and I took part in a manifestation in our local town. Along with about four or five hundred others we gathered to show our support and to remember those who tragically lost their lives this week. As we stood together outside the Mairie for a minute’s silence, similar events were being held in other towns and cities at the same time. I saw familiar faces from school, from my yoga class, from our village, from the local English community and from Facebook. We listened to the Maire and other speakers, sung the Marseillaise and then candles and words were left at the war memorial. It was very moving.



French Village Diaries Chef Boutonne France manifestation Je Suis Charlie
La belle France


This was the view of our little piece of France taken on the way home. It was very peaceful and I’m thankful I have the freedom to live here and to share my life through the words and pictures on this blog with my friends wherever in the world you may be.

I wish you all a peaceful 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.