Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Nutty Chocolate Cake Recipe

French Village Diaries Nutty Chocolate Cake recipe
Nutty Chocolate Cake

Last weekend my neighbour gave me some hazelnut flour and oil from a local producer and as I have been experimenting with reduced flour cakes, these were the perfect ingredients for this nutty chocolate cake I have been working on. This recipe is a mutation from the Hazelnut Chocolate Cake found in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage Light and Easy: Healthy Recipes for Every Day cookbook, which is delicious with ground hazelnuts or almonds, but with a large number of butternut squash to use this winter, I had to have a play.

I think the grated butternut squash (courgette or carrot could be used instead) add moisture and the hazelnut flour and oil add flavour, ensuring this nutty chocolate cake is moist, rich, full of flavour and has a good firm texture. I can assure you it is not just me who thinks it is delicious as it has also been a hit with Adrian and Ed.

French Village Diaries Hazelnut oil and flour Huilerie Lepine
Huilerie Lepine hazelnut oil and flour
Ingredients
200g ground almonds
1 heaped tablespoon cornflour
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
1 heaped tablespoon hazelnut flour
Baking powder (I used one 11g sachet of French levure chimique)

50g brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
2 eggs

100g grated butternut squash

50ml of oil (I used 40ml of sunflower mixed with 10 ml of hazelnut)

Line a round baking tin with greaseproof paper and pre-heat the oven to gas 4.

Mix all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
Beat the sugar, honey and eggs until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Add in the grated butternut squash and beat.
Add in the dry mix and beat and then slowly drizzle in the oil while continuing to beat.

Pour into baking tin and bake in a moderate oven (I use gas mark 4) for about half an hour until springy to touch. Leave to cool in tin for ten minutes and then remove.

It can be eaten alone for afternoon tea or served with a dollop of natural yoghurt for dessert, but you could also add a buttercream topping if you fancied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.