Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Diary of Covid-19 confinement, day six

French Village Diaries Covid-19 confinement day six
Lazy Sunday morning breakfast

Lazy Sunday morning

It would be easy to lose track of the days, but as Sunday has always had a special start for us with croissants for breakfast, today was no exception. The only difference being that this morning there was no chit-chat in the boulangerie as only one customer is allowed in the small shop at a time. It will be a sad day for me if boulangeries have to close their doors for a while.
 
French Village Diaries Covid-19 confinement day six
Ice yoga!
The rest of today has been very productive, especially for a Sunday, although I have found myself questioning why I’m now so keen to complete jobs I could and should have done weeks ago. I have no answer, but it is making me happy. In fact, I am ridiculously happy now all the freezers have been defrosted, cleaned out and I now know what I’ve got and where it is. 
 
French Village Diaries Covid-19 confinement day six
Adrian on the road to nowhere
To keep our spirits and energy levels up I’ve baked another cake and Adrian has set up his turbo trainer, enabling his legs to feel the benefit of cycling, even if the rest of him was going nowhere. I’ve also made more soup, using up some of the more dubious items found in the freezers, but also packed full of chilli, ginger, turmeric and today’s special ingredient, nettles. I’m planning on ensuring we are all kept fully topped up with as much vitamins and minerals as is possible over the coming weeks.

Council

In other news Covid-19 has managed to overrule Brexit, even if it is only for a short time. Last Sunday France went ahead and held the first round of the local elections, but for many communes, including ours, a second round of voting to obtain the required number of councilors was required. This should have been happening today, but sensibly, this time, President Macron decided to delay voting. I felt so strongly at his decision last week, I refused to do my two-hour slot at the polling station, out of protest, so I am glad that common sense has prevailed today. What this means for all communes in France who have yet to vote in a Maire and deputies, is that until at least 15th May the previous Maire and councilors are still in office. I’m still on the council – yippee! I know we won’t be sitting around the table making any decisions, but we are all in regular contact and I will do all I can to help those in the commune get through this. 

French Village Diaries Covid-19 confinement day six
With my Mum in the 1970's. Can you tell I was a bit of a handful?

Mother’s Day

As the UK is celebrating Mother’s Day today, we had a good catch up on Facetime with both our Mums and although celebrations were probably more subdued for many this year, I hope if you too were celebrating, you had a lovely day.


4 comments:

  1. Were there any of my padron peppers in the depths of the freezer ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were indeed! And free m my experience peppers get hotter the longer they are in the freezer!

      Delete
  2. Thought about you on Sunday and now had the pleasure of reading your post and seeing that all is still delightfuly lazy, avec croissants. Stay safe, stay ice-yoga-ing! Stay turbo-cycling! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll be doing an online yoga class this evening while Adrian will be turbo cycling. Stay safe xx

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.