Pages

Monday, March 30, 2020

Diary of Covid-19 confinement, day fourteen


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day fourteen
Sporting our new face masks

Snow

Two weeks in and we awoke to snow. Can things get any worse? Having made a mad dash into the garden to move the more tender pots back into the barn, where they were safely sheltering until last week’s mild weather prompted a flurry of activity from us, we went straight back to bed. Warm and cozy under the covers we watched as the large flakes charged past the window, dancing left to right and up and down, in the strong wind - snow is not our thing. Thankfully, nothing settled, and normality was resumed to our lives, although I have gone back to wearing my warmer winter socks and we’ve put the heating back on. We also seemed to have developed a habit for a third morning coffee, talk about living confinement life on the edge.

French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day fourteen
My first mask


Online learning

Today was another day for indoor fun and games. Adrian has been working hard on his online French lessons and has taken part in a half hour cycling workout. I’ve completed the first day’s tasks for the Arvon 5-Day Short Story Challenge, and have learned that finding short phrases from instruction manuals like “grip the handle and place thumb on.. or do not iron clothes whilst wearing them” can be used for writing prompts. 

I’ve also been playing with my sewing machine and achieved a sewing first; following my first ever YouTube instruction video. Thanks to writer friend Laurette Long for posting the link on Facebook and giving me the idea. We are now the proud owners of custom made, double lined, face masks. I’m not planning on leaving the house anytime soon, but I’m hoping Adrian will take a selfie in his when he hits Lidl tomorrow.

Netflix

We are not normally that TV focused, but we have enjoyed a few family film nights and thanks to a new Netflix subscription, the choices available should be much improved as I’m guessing Ed won’t be too keen to keep watching Mamma Mia and Mamma Mia Here We Go Again. However, the search facility on Netflix isn’t doing much for Adrian’s blood pressure as time and again all it seems to suggest to him is a film about football. The sooner Netflix learns we are not a football family, and shows him the cycling films, the better.

If you would like the pattern I used to give making a face mask a go, here it is, along with the instructions I followed here. Print this image to A4 size.

French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day fourteen

2 comments:

  1. I can recommend 'Le Mans 66' and thanks for the suggestion re face mask, I think I may have to find Mary's sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.