Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Diary of Covid-19 confinement, day sixteen

French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day sixteen
Mini does yoga


Day sixteen or maybe day four

I have been thinking that I should start counting the time in lockdown in terms of number of cakes baked rather than in days; making today number four, which seems a lot more manageable than number sixteen. That is until I realise it means we are getting through a cake every four days. I have a feeling the longer this goes on the more difficult the habit of a daily slice of cake will be to break. At least we are all keeping active and even Mini joined me for a morning yoga class today.

April Fool

It is April fool’s day or Poisson d’avril here in France, the day French children sneak up behind you and stick a fish on your back, just so they can laugh and snigger at you. With no one going out or getting within two metres of anyone else, I’m guessing there will be no sticking of fish this year. I think life is doing a pretty good job of acting the fool at the moment anyway. If I’d said to you last Christmas that by April the world would have come to an abrupt stop, with no work for millions, flights grounded and a deadly virus keeping people in their homes, you’d have thought I was a mad fool. There are times when if I wasn’t writing this every day, I’m not sure I’d have grasped what we are living through either. 

Most of the news stories seem unbelievable these days so I guess it’s no surprise I actually fell for an April Fool this morning – the announcement that the Tour De France would be raced on Zwift this year. Rather than risking riders, teams and the public in a big outdoor event, everyone gets to ride or watch via the online training app Zwift. Adrian has already switched from outdoor cycling to doing indoor online rides, so this seemed a logical outcome to me. How Adrian laughed at my gullibility. 

French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day sixteen
One barrow a day


Back in the garden

The winds of yesterday have blown themselves away and I was tempted back into the garden to resume my daily barrow of weeding, to enjoy lunch alfresco and even to relax with a book on my sunlounger this afternoon. Life is certainly easier to cope with when the sun is shining, and the birds are singing, so, long may it last (the good weather not the lockdown that is). I have also decided that life in lockdown means it’s ok to wear whatever combination of colours/clothing you like.


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day sixteen
The Deux-Sèvres Monthly


The Deux-Sèvres Monthly

This latest Deux-Sèvres Monthly magazine is now available, but for this month it is online only. You can read it here and find my monthly contribution on page 31. Many of you know I have been a regular contributor for eight years (or 94 issues) so it is sad not to see a paper copy this month or have anything to write for next month, as understandably the sensible thing to do is to have a pause in publication for a while.

French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day sixteen
I need a haircut


Fringe

I’ve a difficult decision to make, do I resort to a rather dated headband look (see garden pic above) in order to keep my fringe (bangs) out of my eyes, or do I try and cut it myself, or even let Adrian have a go? Answers on a postcard please.

Stay indoors, stay safe.


Lockdown library

Today’s reading suggestion is Summer in Provence by Lucy Coleman that will be released tomorrow. You can read my review and enter a giveaway here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.