Pages

Monday, April 20, 2020

Diary of Covid-19 confinement, day thirty-five


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day thirty-five sourdough pizza
Sourdough pizza

Day thirty-five, 20th April 2020

Week six

Today is the fifth Monday of lockdown, the beginning of week six and the start of birthday week for Adrian. To mark this momentous occasion, I have generously allowed him to decide what special meals he gets this week, so long as he remembers to buy the necessary ingredients when he goes shopping for me. I predict meatballs, sausage casserole and pizza.


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day thirty-five sourdough flatbreads
Sourdough flatbreads


Sourdough woe

have a confession to make. This morning I had to say goodbye to my sourdough starter, but I did manage to find her a much better home than I was able to give her. She had only been with us for a few days but having spent the weekend feeding her and then making pizzas and flatbreads with the starter leftovers, my body is rebelling against the change in diet and I have the rounded beginnings of a proper dough belly. She had to go.


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day thirty-five Zwift avatar London
Virtual me in virtual London


Zwift

Having used my old bike on Zwift yesterday, for the first time in eighteen months, it was obvious today we are not a good fit. The bike saddle bruises me in places I have no need for bruises and just two half hour sessions yesterday hurt. I’m not sure I need any more from Zwift besides the one-week free trial, but as my avatar there is one hot lady, I felt I needed to give her another outing before giving up. Adrian being clever, and our secondhand (five years ago) bargain-buy turbo trainer being top spec, Katie the Tiny Tourer could be set up to have a go too. As we bought her in London and cycled the Prudential Ride London together last summer, London seemed the obvious location, so off we set. The only thing I can’t do with the Brompton on the turbo is change gear, but I did manage a 17km loop within 50 minutes, which I was quite pleased with.

French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day thirty-five Bordeaux
Bordeaux 20th April 2019


April holiday memory

On this day last year, our first Brompton tour, Bordeaux to Toulouse, ended and we were elated by a sense of achievement at having cycled 450km in five days, carrying all we needed, on our Bromptons. We had battled strong headwinds, climbed steeply into bastide towns, followed the flat and peaceful tree-lined Canal de la Garonne, indulged in treats from boulangeries and markets we found on route and visited the beautiful city of Toulouse for the first time. The train had sped us back to Bordeaux in a matter of hours and we had one last night to savour Bordeaux, do a spot more city cycling, people watching and beer drinking, to toast the end of a fantastic week.


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day thirty-five Canal de la Garonne
#KTTinyTourer Canal de la Garonne April 2019


Stay indoors, stay safe.


2 comments:

  1. Was it really a year ago that you were in our neck of the woods?? I remember you got a nasty dose of le vent d'autan, at least you don't have to put up with that during confinement cycling...Really enjoying your diary (but do hope it doesn't go on too long)Happy birthday to Adrian! Stay safe, stay sane ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian says thanks for the birthday wishes, he had a good day and was glad he'd been able to do a bit of cycling. I too am glad I'm not up against the vent d'autan this year, once was enough. Stay safe.

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.