Pages

Monday, April 6, 2020

Diary of Covid-19 confinement, day twenty-one

French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day twenty-one
No blue sky or sun today, so here is a pic from the garden I took a few days ago


Early bird

I often wake up early, tentatively listening to the sounds outside before opening my eyes and taking a peek at the clock. This morning the birdsong had been replaced by soft rain falling on the roof and splashing into the gutter. I lay still and quiet as Adrian isn’t at his best on rainy days and I figured he had no need to discover the change in weather when it was only 6.20am. 

Things didn’t get much better when I got up and realised I had once again forgotten to make my breakfast last night. I somehow thought writing about it here would help me to remember, I was wrong about that. Adrian has come up with a clever solution, so rather than overnight oats, mine will now be 24hr oats and will be made up at breakfast time, for the following morning. Surely even I can’t forget breakfast, at breakfast time.

The rain continued on and off all day, but at least this gave me a good excuse to busy away on the quarter-end accounts. Work may have come to a dramatic halt, but the accountant will still want to know what has been going on since January, and I’d much rather sit indoors with my spreadsheet and piles of receipts on a wet day than a sunny, gardening one.

French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day twenty-one
In the pain cave together

We also did a bit of indoor exercise in the pain cave, notice how I’m moving so fast, I’m blurred!

My writing buddies

I did take a well-earned break this afternoon to have a virtual catch up with my writing group via Zoom. We normally sit around a table, writing, learning, thinking and sharing, before enjoying tea and tasty homemade cake. Today I was sat on an inflatable cushion with my notebook and pencil, in my new yoga nook thinking it seems a shame I moved the writing desk two days ago. Mel gave us five words and about ten minutes to come up with a short piece using as many of them as possible. If you would like to have a go, the words were; blue, hat, water, table and waiting. Here is what I came up with:

Sitting in my garden on a warm afternoon is one of my favourite ways to relax. The blue sky above me, cloudless on a perfect day, busy with the birds circling and diving, dipping into the pond to sip at the water. On the table in front of me my lazy old cat is stretched in a pool of sunshine, his paws playing with the ends of the ribbon that is tied around my discarded straw hat. The time passes easier out here, with the gentle distraction of bees and butterflies to catch my eye, soothing my pain a little. I know my time waiting for his return is far from over just yet.


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day twenty-one
Trying to look intelligent in my glasses


A documentary film star in the making

Ed has also been busy, working on a project for uni on the topic of “Are small French villages dying?” The plan, before lockdown, was to interview a few key figures in the village and seek their views. Sadly, this is now impossible, meaning his only option was to use the one member of the village council he lives with, me. The main challenge for him was that I instantly freeze when you poke a camera in my face, and to add to my woes I had to plan what I wanted to say, and deliver it, in French. However, (and here is the funny bit) as it’s for his English class, he now has to subtitle my text back into English. If you are still with me here, well done.


French Village Diaries covid-19 confinement day twenty-one
Mobile attestation here


Mobile phone attestation

The French government have launched a new mobile phone version of the attestation we need to fill in every time we leave home. You can follow this link here, fill in the details online, on your phone and it will generate a copy of the form that includes a QR code to show if requested.

Stay indoors, stay safe.



2 comments:

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.