Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Cooking to cure a cold

Despite the occasional blast of warmth, blue sky and sunshine so far May has been Grey. 

Grey May Go Away. 

I have had enough and due to this weather I now need your sympathy, as I have not one poorly male with a cold, but two poorly males with colds! Poor me, I know, but I have been trying my best to make my favourite tried and trusted remedies to get them back on top form asap.

The first thing I always turn to is my Nan Elizabeth’s fresh juice with honey. Nan lived with us when I was a child, which although had it’s benefits, having three generations under one roof wasn’t easy all the time!  What it did mean was that when we were poorly Nan was there, and let’s face it we all know you get more sympathy from your grandparents than your parents, so I had no complaints. Whatever ailed us Nan would make her freshly squeezed lemon, orange and honey drink, in a large light brown Tupperware jug, so 1970’s. The jug would sit on the kitchen counter and we would be encouraged to help ourselves throughout the day. As a child the juice seemed to magically stay warm and the jug full, but that is probably just my memory playing tricks with me. Whenever the sniffles hit now I make Nan’s juice, but sadly I don’t have a Tupperware jug to keep it in. Packed full of vitamin C and good local honey there is something very comforting about this childhood drink that must be good for you, Nan said so.

french village diaries cold cures remedies food recipes honey lemon oranges
Bright vibrant colours

In a 500ml (one pint) jug add 4 teaspoons of honey to the juice of one lemon and two oranges and top up with boiling water. Drink regularly, warm if possible.

The second remedy I like to make is my spicy chicken stock soup. I’m sure chicken stock has magical healing powers and it is light and easy on the stomach, so perfect for when you are poorly. The added garlic, onions, turmeric and chilli are all good for you too, especially when you have a cold. The one I made today certainly blasted through my sinuses and gave them a good clear out.

french village diaries cold remedies chicken stock recipes soup
Spicy chicken soup
Two onions, thinly sliced
Lots of garlic, thinly sliced
Two fresh chillies, I left the seeds in but do whatever you prefer
2 teaspoons of Turmeric
500ml (1 pint) of chicken stock, homemade from boiling a carcass if possible
500ml (1 pint) of water
2 handfuls of fine angel hair pasta

Sauté the onions, garlic, chillies and turmeric in a little olive oil until the onions are soft. Add the liquids and bring to the boil, then add the pasta and simmer until cooked. Serve with sympathy. ps I’m not very good at that bit!




2 comments:

  1. Great recipes there! Love the sound of the lemon and orange magically refilling jug! (PS you put that 500ml is half a pint, and then further down 1 pint).

    The chilli sounds tasty too. Must remember this next time I have a chill. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, will get that edited. 500ml is a pint, I have just checked!

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.