Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

My patisserie challenge, la foret-noire

French Village Diaries patisserie challenge foret-noire boulangerie
My patisserie challenge la forêt-noire


Welcome to my patisserie challenge. This year I have decided to buy something different from our village boulangerie every Sunday and to enjoy the simple pleasure of treating myself each week. I can report that so far I’m really enjoying my early morning stroll to the village boulangerie, buying the croissants for breakfast and making my choice of sweet treat.

This week I’ve chosen Ed’s current favourite, the forêt-noire or black forest gateau. This is a very luxurious dessert comprised of two layers of chocolate genoise sponge with a rich cream sandwiched between them and smothered over the top, finished off nicely with dark chocolate shavings.  Hidden in the middle cream layer are whole black cherries that have been drowned in a cherry liqueur – wow what an alcoholic kick! I’m almost ashamed to admit Ed has been happily tucking into these for at least the last two years. It is quite sweet, but so light, moist, soft and creamy I can forgive the extra sweetness especially as it’s slightly offset by the bitterness of the dark chocolate. As a special occasion treat it was very enjoyable, but it would be a bit too rich for me on regular basis.

I’ll see you next week with my new choice from Bernadette at the boulangerie.

Here are my previous patisserie challenge posts buchette de noel and éclair au chocolat.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.