Pages

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Bonne fête Maman

Bonne Fête Maman

Today in France it’s Mother’s Day or Fête des Mères and I thought I’d share with you a few differences between how we used to celebrate and how we have passed the day today.

When Ed was at Maternelle (aged 3 to 5) and Primaire (aged 5 to 10) the school would always ensure something cute and crafty was hand made and brought home, accompanied by lots of whispers to Daddy to ensure the contents of his school bag remained a surprise between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. I have obviously kept all of these special gifts, so thought you’d enjoy the picture above, made when Ed was about six.

Texts from Ed on Mother's Day


Ed is now 16 and sadly the lycée curriculum is more focussed on working towards their baccalaureate exams than crafting gifts for mamans. Obviously Ed is also concentrating on his exams, but there are also friends to be partied with and that is what he was doing last night. As you can see from the snapshot of our messages, my first communication from Ed today was at 02.16am, not to wish me a happy Mother’s Day, but to change pick-up time, bless. At least I wasn’t woken from my beauty sleep when it pinged in and I also slept through the 06.21am text reverting back to a 10.00am pick-up. What did wake me up was the phone ringing at 8.00am. It was Ed, letting us know that anytime we were ready, he was ready to come home, obviously keen to spend some time with his mummy.


My hand crafted card
Despite the early start it has been a good day and on a serious note I'm pleased Ed feels he can text me day or night as being a Mum will always be a 24hr/7 day a week roll.

I am now the happy owner of a La La Land DVD and in this age of technology he also ‘crafted’ me a custom made photomontage of the two of us and posted it on Instagram. 

Our orchids
I’ve also had fun in the garden, lawn mowing and admiring our fine selection of wild orchids that are decorating the grass in our orchard. 

Our cherries

Plus been cherry picking and had my first dip in the pool this year.

I hope you’ve had a lovely Sunday too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.