Pages

Friday, December 2, 2022

Book review of Dead in Tune by Stephanie Dagg

French Village Diaries book review Dead In Tune Stephanie Dagg
Dead In Tune by Stephanie Dagg


Dead in Tune by Stephanie Dagg

 

It’s nearly Christmas, a time for peace and goodwill. Or maybe not.

 

First the house of a young Spanish family is burned down, and then a Dutch clog dancer is battered almost to death with his own footwear. On the night of the carol service, at which the Worldwide Friendship Club’s choir is singing, a Scottish bagpiper is found dead. By Martha, who has come across enough dead bodies already this year to last her a lifetime.

 

Convinced there’s a link to the choir, Martha and best friend Lottie set out on the trail of the murderer. Their unconventional sleuthing methods land one of them in rather a lot of trouble…

 

‘Dead In Tune’, the sequel to ‘Hate Bale’, is an entertaining, festive cosy mystery set in rural France.  



French Village Diaries book review Dead In Tune Stephanie Dagg
Dead In Tune by Stephanie Dagg

 

My Review

Following our family Christmas adventure last weekend, I’m returning to the sleepy French rural idyl that is the Creuse, with a great fun, cosy Christmas who dunnit, Dead In Tune by Stephanie Dagg. 

 

We are back with Martha and her friend Lottie (see my review of Hate Bale here) as Christmas is approaching and the Worldwide Friendship Club is organising a carol service. Despite some rivalry over the mince pies, everyone is looking forward to the event until some sinister goings on look set to disrupt their plans, and once again Martha finds herself more involved than she would like.

 

This book is full of humour and colourful characters as Martha and Lottie undertake some amateur sleuthing, convinced they know more than the police. I enjoyed the twists, and the real sense of drama, especially as things got quite heated towards the end. 

 

Having followed author Stephanie’s life in France for many years, her obvious eye for detail and the snippets of her experiences, cleverly woven into the characters and storyline, added authenticity to what was already a very readable mystery. I hope there will be more adventures for Martha and Lottie next year.

 

This is a must read for anyone who wants a trip to the real rural France this Christmas.


Purchase Links

 

Amazon UK  

Amazon US   




French Village Diaries book review Dead In Tune Stephanie Dagg
Stephanie Dagg


Author Bio

 

I’m an English immigrant living in France with my family, after many years in Ireland. We have a seventy-five acre farm with animals ranging from alpacas to zebra finches. I work part-time as a freelance editor. The rest of the time I'm helping to run our carp fishing lake business and inevitably cleaning up after some or other animal.

 

I’ve written both fiction and non-fiction books, and plenty of them - somewhere around the fifty mark now! Originally I was published by two presses in Ireland, but more recently I’ve taken the self-publishing route. I’m a keen book blogger, and I also love knitting, natural dyeing, gardening and cycling.  

 

Social Media Links   

 

Facebook 

Twitter 

Blog 

 

2 comments:

  1. All being well there'll be another Martha and Lottie adventure next year, and it will most likely feature camper vans and/or electric bikes, I'm still deciding! Thank you so much for your lovely review. I really appreciate it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic news Steph! I'll be looking out for it. Jacqui

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.