Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2022

Farewell November

French Village Diaries farewell November Advent day one
The November blues


Farewell November

November you have really excelled yourself this year and it is with a smile of relief we welcome the arrival of December and Advent.

 

This was Mini last night. 

 

“Has November gone yet? Is it safe to come out?”

 

French Village Diaries farewell November Advent day one
Is it safe to come out now?

 

If losing our friend Sue on the anniversary of losing Adrian’s dad wasn’t bad enough, we learned of the death of another British friend from the village, Richard, whilst we were at the crematorium for Sue on Monday morning. 

 

In another grisly November coincidence, Richard shared our surname, which led to some confusion with the people I work with, and it was a rather bizarre telephone call where I had to explain that the Mr Brown who’d just died wasn’t my husband, or a relative. The fact that all of this took place exactly a year after Adrian spent five days in intensive care at the hospital in Niort, just made it seem even more surreal. 

 

I think it’s safe to say we are all glad to see the back of November.



French Village Diaries farewell November Advent day one
Coffee, croissant and great company

 

Advent Day One

We celebrated the arrival of December with a brisk but fresh bike ride with friends, cycling into Chef-Boutonne for coffee and croissants this morning. It might only be a Thursday and such luxuries are normally reserved for the weekend, but if November has shown us anything, it’s to seize the moment and do the things that make you happy, today. Croissants and good company always make me happy.

 

Something else that makes me happy is cheese and especially cooked cheese dishes, so tonight, I have decided we will feast on the first tartiflette of the season. This is French winter comfort food at its best in a dish that combines sliced potatoes, lardons, sauteed onions and oodles of melted cheese baked in the oven.



French Village Diaries farewell November Advent day one
Mini's Advent calendar


 

Mini is celebrating her fourteenth Advent and despite her hearing failing her, her legs being a little wobbly at times and her energy levels being rather depleted, she has no problem with her memory. Just one glimpse of an Advent calendar and she remembers the routine: sit, paw up to select the window and out pops a treat. She even knows that no matter how good the rest of the treats smell, you only get to open one window a day.

 

I’d love to know what you will be doing to celebrate life this December. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqui like you we have ended November losing a friend and neighbor from our village. The funeral is next week. Spent today in front of the fire, reflecting and remembering - but we also celebrated her life with a Bucks Fizz (or two). We are looking forward to a positive December with family and friends appreciating what we have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. I think toasting and celebrating our absent friends sounds like a lovely thing to do. Jacqui

      Delete
  2. Dear Jacqui we have also lost a friend. Humphrey came to Adelaide in 1972, loved it and stayed. The family held a Memorial service outside in a most beautiful and green area in the Belair National Park, in the Adelaide Hills. There was music and poetry and wine to enjoy. Despite the beauty of Adelaide's spring, I still, after many years' presence here, cannot fully enjoy Christmas in the hot weather. It must be cold and the days must be short, with lots of warming lights and candles as I enjoyed in France years ago. That is magic. Many people here have barbecues at the beach... For me, there is no magic in that! Enjoy your French village Christmas, Jacqui. Joyeux Noël, Etiennette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend Etiennette. My Auntie Jenny arrived in Australia in 1972, loved it and stayed too - I am ashamed to say I haven't ever visited. The last few years we have taken the bikes out for a special Christmas Day picnic, but we have been wrapped up warm as it certainly hasn't been beach weather! This year will be different again! Jacqui

      Delete
  3. You are being battered from head to toe these days and I'm so sorry. I plan to spend as much time with people I care about this season as I can. And hopefully not get my knickers in a knot if something doesn't get done or looks just the way I'd hoped. We'll get it right in time but being together is what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last few years we have kept Christmas as simple as possible and that has worked well for us. It can be a really stressful time for so many. This year will be different again for us, but I am determined to keep it simple and enjoy being with those I love. Hope you and Rick have a lovely time. Jacqui

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.