Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Courgette Chutney

During the summer I make lots of chutney using the excess fruits and vegetables from the garden. As well as a great way of preserving the gluts the chutney is delicious with cold meats, cheeses and in sandwiches and is enjoyed as much by Adrian’s parents as us. Here is my Courgette Chutney recipe; at the beginning of the season it is a Cherry and Courgette chutney, then it becomes Plum and Courgette chutney and finally Apple or Quince and Courgette chutney at the end of the summer.
french village diaries chutney courgette recipes food France
Chutney with cheese & saucisson 

500g courgettes (zucchini)
500g cherries/plums/apples
2 medium onions
2 fresh chillies (optional)
500g demerara sugar
2 tsps ground allspice
2 tsps ground cloves
1 tsp sea salt
black pepper
1 heaped tbsp chopped or grated fresh ginger
2 tsps tumeric
700ml cider vinegar

Dice the courgettes, stone the cherries, stone and chop the plums or peel and roughly chop the apples/quince and finely chop the onions. Seed the chillies and chop finely.

Put all the ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil. Cook over a medium heat for as long as it takes for the mixture to thicken (about an hour).

Spoon into washed and sterilised jars and when cool place in the store cupboard. The flavour will be better after a month and they will last at least a year if kept in a cool dark place.



5 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. May try some for Christmas presents. I'm going to make some apricot jam this weekend too for the same reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. If I had my own apricots I would make courgette and apricot chutney as I'm sure that would work really well.

      Delete
  2. wow, thanks! will do this soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think I could sub rhubarb in for the fruit? I have a bunch in the freezer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've done that and it works really well. Hope you like it.

      Delete

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.