Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

How Does Your Garden Grow?

The first daffodils 

This week has been a busy one, but thanks to the blue skies and sunshine, some of my busyness has been outside in the garden, at last. I will admit to being a bit of a fair-weather gardener, but with the rising temperatures, birdsong and sunshine I have been encouraged to get outside, tackle some weeding in the potager, breathe the fresh spring air and take a few photos to share with you.


The first crocus

Rhubarb shoots

I love to see the first flowers of the year, although I can’t help but bring in the daffodils to enjoy indoors and am looking forward to picking the first of the rhubarb that is already pushing through the ground. I’ve started sowing the seeds for the potager, always a favourite time of year for me and although they are still tiny and kept safe and warm indoors, at least I am one step closer to having a full and productive vegetable garden this summer.



Chilli seedlings

Hazel catkins

A lot of my time outdoors at this time of year is spent straining my neck, checking skywards for the first sign of blossom, the first swoop of a swallow or another chance to watch the cranes as they head north in their distinctive and noisy way. These sights never fail to make me smile and make me thankful to be living in a beautiful rural area where the changing of the seasons is easy to witness.



The potager in early spring

I might not be harvesting much at the moment, but my garden has certainly started growing. Other news from the garden this week is that Brucie the goose has started laying and the ducks are acting mysteriously, which experience tells me means they are trying to find hidden corners to lay in, places where they hope I won’t discover them. However, I like to think I’m brainier than they are and can’t wait for the first duck egg omelette of 2015.


This post is linked to How Does Your Garden Grow? a blog link run by Mammasaurus  Do pop over and read more inspiring gardening posts, it's as easy as clicking on the link.



How Does Your Garden Grow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.