Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

Welcome to Spring

french village diaries first day of spring blossom
Blossom on the first day of spring
Today marked the first official day of spring, it was also International Happiness Day and there was a partial solar eclipse this morning. I have to admit I woke up with high hopes for a high energy day, however I was soon rather disappointed.

We have had some lovely days this week filled with sunshine, spring flowers and lawn mowing. Every dog walk has shown more blossom in the hedgerows and I was full of the joys of spring and ready to celebrate what makes me so happy about this time of year. It was such a shame I awoke to a grey, dull day with heavy cloud that made the solar eclipse invisible and me rather gloomy. The sun briefly came out this afternoon, but then it started raining. Later in the year I view rain as a free and easy garden watering system, but at the moment it will only encourage the weeds to grow.

French Village Diaries Chateau Ardilleux Deux Sevres Chef Boutonne
The dining room at Chateau Ardilleux
French Village Diaries Chateau Ardilleux Deux Sevres Chef Boutonne
Chateau Ardilleux Deux Sevres

Thankfully I had somewhere to escape to and the intimate ladies lunch at a local chateau was the perfect thing to distract and cheer me up. There is nothing quite like dining in style and the small wood panelled dining room with open fire was very welcoming on such a dull day. I had a lovely time, although I only took a few pictures of the location and none of my food, sorry. My starter was a cheese lovers delight and really helped to perk my mood; a warm and molten fried Brie that was crunchy, comforting and delicious. For the main course I chose the red pepper stuffed chicken breast, which was moist and full of flavour, especially with the watercress sauce. This was served with a great selection of vegetables, including a cauliflower cheese, one of my favourites. The apple strudel generously stuffed with sweet apples and lots of cream finished it off nicely. I can’t believe it has taken me so long to discover such a foodie gem that is almost on our doorstep, but I'm sure I will be back as I know Mum and Dad would love a meal there.

Chateau Ardilleux is also a B&B and more information can be found on their website here and you can follow them on Facebook here.




French Village Diaries Chateau Ardilleux Deux Sevres Chef Boutonne
Chateau Ardilleux Deux Sevres 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.