Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2015

My patisserie challenge, Easter special

French village Diaries Easter bells cloche de pâques boulangerie patisserie france nid de Pâques Easter nest
My patisserie challenge Easter special

Happy Easter to you all and welcome to my patisserie challenge. This year I have decided to buy something different from our village boulangerie every Sunday and to enjoy the simple pleasure of treating myself each week. Easter is a time of year when sweet treats are aplenty and in a village boulangerie/patisserie that also makes it’s own chocolate I was spoiled for choice today. Thankfully Easter also marks the time of year when the garden is awakening and there is plenty to do outside, so my excess calories from the Nid de Pâques (Easter nest) and the dark chocolate bell, filled with more chocolates, were nicely balanced out by a day of hard work, including a good few hours walking with the lawnmower. Mmm, patisseries, chocolate and gardening - that really is my idea of a perfect day.

The Nid de Pâques is a small circular cake with two layers of light, moist Genoese sponge, filled and topped with an airy chocolate mousse (I could have chosen coffee or praline flavour, but chocolate rules in my book) and decorated with toasted almonds on the side and sweet eggs on top. It was lovely. The almonds gave a tasty crunch and I really couldn’t fault the light texture of the sponge or the deliciousness of the creamy chocolate mousse. It’s a shame Easter only comes around once a year.

French village Diaries Easter bells cloche de pâques boulangerie patisserie france
Easter bells
In France, although there are plenty of bunnies to be seen at Easter, tradition has it that the church bells are the ones to give out the chocolate eggs to the children. The bells fall silent on Maundy Thursday as they fly to Rome, returning on Easter Sunday with eggs for all. I’m not sure our old church bell takes part anymore as I definitely heard it dinging it’s slightly flat Angelus on Saturday.

Don’t forget to join me next week to see my next choice from Bernadette at the boulangerie.

Here are my previous patisserie challenge posts, in case you missed them:








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.