Pages

Friday, November 27, 2020

Lockdown diaries, day twenty-nine, payday celebrations

French Village Lockdown Diaries day twenty-nine
Sunset bike ride and baguette


Day twenty-nine, Friday 27th November 2020

 

Payday

Whoop whoop! Adrian has been paid, for the first time since the end of April and if that isn’t something worth celebrating, or being grateful for, then I don’t know what is. We also got our first Christmas card in the post today too and all I can say is that I commend you organised people, kind of spirit and full of festive cheer, but I’m not quite sure I’ll be able to reciprocate, sorry.

 

The main task today was getting back to decorating and wallpaper hanging at the top of the stairs. This is now the third space we have hung paper in the last few months, but boy was it slow and tough going this morning. Pipes are not the friend of the wallpaper hanger, and why these walls seemed to drink the paste more than the others, meaning the paper wouldn’t slip into line, I have no idea. It was just as well I’d planned something out of the norm for our lunch today, as it felt like a necessary treat. I did make up a fresh batch of leek-top soup, but that will be for tomorrow, as today we enjoyed a goat cheese omelette and salad, with almost all the ingredients sourced locally, by bike. It was also warm enough to eat it in the garden. After getting just over halfway through the wallpaper hanging, the paste we’d made up ran out, which was all the excuse we needed to clear up for the day and pop out on the bikes. Can you believe it, we’re out of bananas, again.


French Village Lockdown Diaries day twenty-nine  autumn bike ride
Late afternoon ride to Chef Boutonne

 

The cycle to Chef Boutonne was lovely in the golden afternoon light and although I’d dressed sensibly for a late November ride, knowing how quick the temperatures can drop as the sun goes down, I was surprised to find it was 17º and I probably didn’t need my five layers. With our panniers full, well a baguette in mine and a good few kilos of essentials in Adrian’s, we got a spectacular panorama on the way home; the sunset burning the sky to the right, an almost full moon rising to the left.

 

French Village Lockdown Diaries day twenty-nine  autumn bike ride
Moon rising


As a mini celebration for being paid, we will be treating ourselves to a tasty apéro platter of pâtés this evening, with a glass of Pierrette’s cherry Pineau. Cheers, to your good health. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.