Pages

Monday, December 1, 2014

A is for Anguilles

french village diaries food france advent calendar eels marais poitevin anguilles poitou charentes
French food alphabet advent calendar 


December seems to have arrived despite my best efforts to put the brakes on and slow this year down to a more manageable speed, oh well, never mind. To mark the run up to Christmas 2014 I have decided to set myself an advent challenge that will involve lots of food and photos – yum yum.

Welcome to my French Food Alphabet Advent Calendar. Between now and Christmas Day I will be working my way through a selection of delicious food posts; some will be regional specialities, some are my personal favourite foods, some posts will include recipes, but all will be linked to French food and drink. I hope you enjoy your virtual tastings.

It’s the 1st December and A is for Anguilles

Anguilles are eels and served straight from the wood fired grill they are a speciality of our region and especially the Marais Poitevin. Situated between La Rochelle and Niort the Marais Poitevin is a reclaimed marshland area of natural beauty where there is a maze of canals and waterways that have been home to the eels for hundreds of years.

We often see them at the local markets, alive and swimming in tanks, but also sold freshly killed and barbequed for around 36€ a kilo, however, I have yet to be brave enough to give them a try. They do smell delicious but I’m just not sure what to expect and worry that I’d get a mouthful of fiddly bones. Have you eaten eels and would you recommend them?

Don’t forget to pop back tomorrow for the letter B – any guesses as to what it will be?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.