Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

R is for Ratatouille

French Village Diaries Ratatouille recipe advent calendar a to z french food
French food alphabet advent calendar


With less than a week to go, I can’t believe how quickly advent is rushing by and I hope you are more organised for Christmas than I am! Here is the letter R for my French Food Alphabet Advent Calendar series - a foodie’s countdown to Christmas Day sharing posts including French regional specialities, my personal favourite foods, and some new recipes. I hope you are enjoying your virtual tastings.

It’s the 18th December and R is for Ratatouille.

This is one of my favourite summer recipes when the potager is generously giving and the kitchen often groaning under the weight of produce.

Ingredients
2 onions, diced
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
4 tablespoons of olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 large peppers (red if possible), diced
2 large courgettes (zucchini) diced
1 medium aubergine, diced
2 tablespoons tomato purée
4 tomatoes, chopped

Soften the onions and thyme in the olive oil for 3-4 minutes, without letting them colour. Add the garlic, courgettes, peppers, aubergine, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes longer. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato purée, cook over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. This is delicious as the vegetable accompaniment to any meat dish, but if like me you make it in bulk it will freeze too. I then use it as a summer flavoured soup in the winter.


Don’t forget to pop back tomorrow for the letter S, a celebration platter. If you have missed my previous advent posts you can catch up by clicking on the letters ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP and Q.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.