Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Q is for Quenelles

French Village Diaries alphabet advent calendar a to z french foods quenelles Lyon
French food alphabet advent calendar


Welcome to the latest post in my French Food Alphabet Advent Calendar series - a foodie’s countdown to Christmas Day, sharing posts including French regional specialities, my personal favourite foods, and some new recipes. I hope you are enjoying your virtual tastings.

It’s the 17th December and Q is for Quenelles. 

Quenelles are similar to a dumpling and are made with flour, suet and creamed meat or fish. If my memory serves me correctly my first taste of quenelles was in Maçon in the 1980’s where I was staying with a French family on a school exchange. My French wasn’t very good back then, but I’m sure my French maman said they were frogs legs quenelles and served in a creamy sauce were very tasty. I have never tried to make my own, nor have I seen them on restaurant menus in this area as they are probably more common in Lyon and the eastern regions, but I could always treat myself to a tin.

Q is also for Quiche and you can find my French village quiche recipe here.

Don’t forget to pop back tomorrow for the letter R, a summertime favourite of mine. If you have missed my previous advent posts you can catch up by clicking on the letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O and P.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.