Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2014

G is for Galette des Rois

French Village Diaries food advent calendar galette des rois france
French food alphabet advent calendar


Welcome to my French Food Alphabet Advent Calendar. Between now and Christmas Day I will be working my way through a selection of delicious food posts; some will be regional specialities, some are my personal favourite foods, some posts will include recipes, but all will be linked to French food and drink. I hope you enjoy your virtual tastings.

It’s the 7th December and G is for Galette des Rois.

The French have a special cake to mark twelfth night called Galette des Rois that begin to appear in the supermarkets from the beginning of December and remain until February. It can be a ring shaped cake made of brioche, decorated with sugar and candied fruit jewels, or a puff pastry ‘pie’ with a frangipane or apple compot filling. Hidden in either type of cake is a small ‘feve’, a porcelain figure (often depicting nativity characters, although film and Disney characters are also common). Traditionally it falls to the youngest member of the family to decide who gets which slice of cake and the finder of the figure then wears the golden crown.

If you would like to have a go at making your own you can find my recipe here.

If you have missed my previous advent posts you can catch up by clicking on the letters A, B, C, D, E and F. Don’t forget to pop back tomorrow for the letter H, a seafood often eaten at New Year.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy, I love to hear from you.